.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

<Summary> YATB, Yet Another Technology Blog </Summary>

Saturday, March 04, 2006

Free At Last



Free At Last


     It was just a matter of when, but I had to pull the plug. I am talking about Orkut which promotes, social networking, a concept which aims at bringing everybody together. People you have met, people you meet, people you hope to meet one day, and people you won’t ever meet. They are all there. For some months, my friends thought it would be great to introduce me to this concept of Social Networking, so they kept on sending me these “Orkut Invites” and finally, one day I gave in and created an account at Orkut. For quite some time my account just existed, with no information about myself except my name and “Afrikaans” being the only language I could speak. And then, I start getting messages to update my profile, and I decided to do it. Just for the heck of it, I decided to try to invite some of my friends; however, it seemed that most of them were already there. Two days of peace and then somehow I get these fifteen friend requests, and when I approved them, having a figure like twenty on my friends list, when one of my friends had more than two hundred people in her list. I know it wasn’t right, but I just imagined of having a figure like that. The worse part however was that I got addicted, I really don’t know, but in hindsight, the only way I can describe something like this is akin to sleeping with a whore, you know you are not doing it right, but then you just feel like enjoying the moment, except in case of Orkut it is probably worse. Everybody seems to be using Orkut as a substitute to e-mail and worse in some cases as a substitute to Instant messengers. If there is something really relevant, if there is really something I want to share with _MY_  _FRIENDS_, friends I really care about, I would prefer to use mail. Scrapbook on Orkut just seems to be a public place to pee, except that everybody can see you pee. And somehow people seem to be interested in seeing other peoples pee. I don’t mind admitting that somehow during my one month of association with Orkut, I myself did fall in this trap. And the only way out was to pull the plug, so today morning after a lot of thought I decided pull the plug. I logged into “Google Account Manager” and decided to delete my Orkut profile and the only way to describe of what I felt after pressing the button was like getting independence. I could finally be connected to internet and not worry even once about somebody scrapping me, and thinking about what I should write in somebody’s scrapbook.


As far as I am concerned, I am free, at last.


8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

tht's one real gud decision..

_Vaasu

7:49 AM, March 05, 2006

 
Blogger Reetesh Mukul said...

Very Good decision.

I have a "silent" account in Orkut. This means I have no profile in it, still, with zero friends I enter in it as a spy. This I do to relax myself.

Orkut reminds me old story .."Satranz ke khiladi"... Orkut is similar to the deadly time pass that I our ancestors used to do...

10:55 AM, March 05, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ya but why blame the medium when the people are using it as a
covert channel that is not in a way it was meant for.

see u always have the option of switching off ur notifier if it troubles u so much .

but the thing is u just can't blame the thing when people use scraps rather than messages.it has brought many long lost friends together .

it is like not using petrol because it is a cause of so many conflicts.
its probably like shooting the messanger

12:15 AM, March 06, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...


ya but why blame the medium when the people are using it as a
covert channel that is not in a way it was meant for.
see u always have the option of switching off ur notifier if it troubles u so much .


I agree with you completly, in fact I did just that at first I just set up a filter in Gmail to archive the Orkut messages directly, later however, I even disabled all the notifications, but as I mentioned I got addicted . And the only cure seemed to be just delete the profile.


but the thing is u just can't blame the thing when people use scraps rather than messages.it has brought many long lost friends together .


Let me just ask you this question, I have asked this question to a lot of my friends around, "Why do you use Orkut?" Till now, I haven't got any good answer, except

a) To stay connected to your friends.
b) To find out old friends.

As regards, to the first I think it just does not make sense especially considering the fact that today we are connected to internet pretty much 24*7 and can always just mail or IM them.

As regards to second, firstly because somebody had told me, I did fancy finding out one of my ex :-), but I didn't, but then again that is not the reason most people sign in to Orkut, also there are dedicated websites just for that purpose.


it is like not using petrol because it is a cause of so many conflicts.
its probably like shooting the messanger


Sure, but if petrol were to be used only for ruining people, then why not have a state ban :-)



Anyway, all this is IMO, YMMV.

4:21 AM, March 06, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I describe Orkut as a place to know who is sleeping with whom :-)

Anyway, hope you are able to take time for other important things after quitting orkut :-)

5:16 PM, March 19, 2006

 
Blogger Imanpreet said...

Nisha:
I just wonder what important things you want me to do :-)

10:40 PM, March 19, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey, u have seen only -ve side of the orkut. Basically its really a big archtecture, big s/w esp designed for only entertainment and not for give you some knowledge or something.
I completely disagree with your words...."peeing outside...", if u feel its true, wat is blogging? farting outside?? huh...
if u don like anything, we can say it in a bit formal way also.
p.s. my words never mean that i love orkut for fun. i love the funtionality of orkut.

1:31 AM, March 25, 2006

 
Blogger Imanpreet said...

Anonymous Wrote:




if u don like anything, we can say it in a bit formal way also.


Sure, somebody could, not me. What's wrong with being informal and cuss?



p.s. my words never mean that i love orkut for fun. i love the funtionality of orkut.




And your point is? Just because something has functionality you will use it. Even if it serves no purpose whatsoever.

Also, as I have mentioned in reply to another message, the primary reason I left Orkut was that I got addicted to it. And I realized that I had to pull the plug sooner rather than later.


BTW, just out of curiosity, what do you use Orkut for?

6:08 AM, March 25, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home