.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

<Summary> YATB, Yet Another Technology Blog </Summary>

Saturday, December 17, 2005

Blake and Microsoft

I was going through Blake Ross's post on "The decline of the Windows brand" . He comments that Windows is no longer is a brand and that "Google" is what matters today. He adds "My generation doesn’t know or care about Windows, and why should they?" That is completely outlandish!. I am not sure why he has a problem with Microsoft labeling its products as "Windows Messenger" and for that matter even "Windows Live Messenger". Sure half of the "current generation" might be using Google for their searches but if he does not know about the number of users of Microsoft Windows then FHI more than 90% of desktops today use Microsoft Windows. I am a great fan of Google but I sure don't "God Worship" Google. And if name is the name of the game, what about the name that Google chooses. Google too chooses to prefix its products name with Google. Not to mention suffixed with the godly "beta" tag.


Products need promotion but to promote them on arguments that have no basis is just plain stupid. Blake just seems to be getting better at it.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"He comments that Windows is no longer is a brand."

I did? I thought the title of the post was "The decline of the Windows brand." If my argument is that Windows is not a brand, how is it declining?

"I am not sure why he has a problem with Microsoft labeling its products as "Windows Messenger" and for that matter even "Windows Live Messenger"."

I don't "have a problem" with it. The post questions the efficacy of that strategy in an age where many people may no longer know or care that they're using "Windows".

"but if he does not know about the number of users of Microsoft Windows then FHI more than 90% of desktops today use Microsoft Windows."

Sorry, but I didn't say anything to that effect in the post. The post is about the decline of the Windows *brand*, not the decline of Windows. I'm well aware that the overwhelming majority of people use Windows.

2:33 AM, December 20, 2005

 
Blogger Imanpreet said...

I did? I thought the title of the post was "The decline of the Windows brand." If my argument is that Windows is not a brand, how is it declining?

Going by your earlier posts, this post was open to the interpretation that you were jumping in the "Windows is dead" bandwagon. Hence, the criticism.

I don't "have a problem" with it. The post questions the efficacy of that strategy in an age where many people may no longer know or care that they're using "Windows".

And from your blog

My post questions how many of those people know or care that they’re using "Windows" versus Generic Operating System. If they aren’t aware, then the brand is weakening.


And how many people are care for “Google” as a brand? For a lot of people Google is indeed a generic search engine[%]. Does the fact that one has to type "www.google.com make any difference? If you use a toolbar you don’t even have to do that. That said, I know people who use MSN search, just because that is all they know[%%],thanks to the fact that they use IE which sets msn.com to be the homepage. Sure Google could be more visible on Slashdot with all those new features that it comes out on fairly regular basis but just about how many people on street read Slashdot?



[%] That is the only thing that "searches".
[%%] For them that is the only thing that searches.

2:00 PM, December 21, 2005

 

Post a Comment

<< Home